just giving logo

We have a Just Giving page
if you would like to help us
keep the space maintained.

Loughborough Rectory Wildlife Garden

A Hidden Oasis, In The Heart of Town

The Wildlife Garden is Located Here

Loughborough Rectory Wildlife Garden is tucked away between Fearon Hall and the Old Rectory Museum and in
and in close proximity to All Saints Church.
The Nearest Postcodes are LE11 1PL & LE11 1UW.

The Garden is Normally accessed via two gates one near the rectory museum and one between the parish church and Fearon Hall – These are marked with green markers on the map on either side of the pin for the wildlife garden.  These gates are closed at dusk. There isn’t parking specifically for the garden but we’re only a short walk from the centre of town.

Directions can also be found by clicking on the what3words links below.

WHAT3WORDS:

Museum Gate what3words.com/ruins.dots.tummy

Parish Green Gate: what3words.com/swung.dawn.jumpy

A Bit About Us

 Loughborough Rectory Wildlife Garden has been a community space since the 1990’s, providing a haven for people and wildlife just a short walk from Loughborough town centre.

The Rectory Wildlife Garden Charity is redeveloping the garden from its original layout to create accessible quiet spaces for people to reflect, learn, meet and relax. All in an environment which promotes local wildlife of all kinds.

As a community resourse, the garden is for everyone. We have accessible paths thoughout, seating areas, benches and a central lawn that can be used for small events.

We encourage local groups of all kinds to use the space.

The Loughborough Rectory Wildlife Garden
Points Of Interest

History of
Loughborough Rectory Wildlife Garden

1950-2024

The land now occupied by the Steeple Row houses ( All Saint's View ), and the wildlife garden used to be occupied by a Rectory constructed in the late 1950s.

The Wildlife Garden was first instigated by former rector Stephen Cherry in 1996, when the rectory gardens became too large to manage. Together with Rev. Cherry, a group of enthusiastic volunteers formed the Rectory Wildlife Gardeners charity.

By sectioning off part of the rectory gardens, the charity established a wildlife haven to enhance biodiversity in the town centre and provide a peaceful garden for the benefit of the public.

The diocese sold the land to a developer in 2003, and the Rectory was demolished in 2009.
As part of the planning permission for the current Steeple Row housing development in 2013, the Wildlife Garden was transferred to Charnwood Borough Council to both ‘secure its retention as wildlife garden area open to the public’ and maintain the historical connection between the Parish Church and the Old Rectory - via a path called the Rector’s Walk.

Timeline Animation
Garden & Surrounding Area
1883-2024

 

June Images From Around the Garden